My name is Tom, I’m a biologist living in Canberra, Australia. I read a lot of books, in all different genres, but I always come back to science-fiction and fantasy books for the sheer joy and the weird and wondrous ideas. My favourite authors are China Miéville and Alastair Reynolds.
Yeah, it’s really boring and unimaginative. Originally I intended this blog to be about not only science fiction and fantasy, but also LGBT-themed books. So “Out There” kind of had a double meaning. I just haven’t gotten around to writing anything about the latter kind of book, and now it’s a bit too late to come up with anything cooler! Not a huge deal, though.
- China Miéville’s oeuvre, obviously, but especially The Scar; Perdido Street Station and Iron Council are right behind; and Embassytown follows soon after. Railsea is a recent favourite — I liked it a lot more than Un Lun Dun. Everything else is great too but those are my favourites.
- Alastair Reynold’s oeuvre — the Revelation Space series most of all, with House of Suns also occupying a high-up position.
- Other SF novels and series I love
- Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons
- A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge
- Dune by Frank Herbert
- The Culture series by Iain M Banks
- The Uplift series by David Brin
- Fantasy is great too, although I need to read more (especially with the recent renaissance in epic fantasy)
- The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien
- A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin
- The Magicians trilogy by Lev Grossman
- The Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
- The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett (I’ve yet to read them all though!)
- The Stone trilogy by Graham Edwards (and to a lesser extent, his Dragon trilogy)
- The Stand by Stephen King
- I also enjoy non-genre fiction, and I have a few favourites
- Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
- The Secret History by Donna Tartt
- The Tales of the City series by Armistead Maupin
- Graphic novels
- Maus by Art Spiegelman
- Watchmen by Alan Moore
- I’ll expand on this part of the list later!